Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2018

I learned

This is what I did yesterday afternoon, after Pre-ACT testing and before rehearsal.....

I learned how to pack a gunshot or stab wound with clotting gauze. Did you know they make a special gauze that has a clotting agent in it to help stop bleeding? I didn't, until yesterday.

I learned how to apply two different types of tourniquet to stop bleeding. The blue one is easier, it has velcro and something to actually twist.

I learned that blood bubbling from a chest wound probably means a lung puncture and to use the sticky pad to cover and seal it. Oh, don't forget to check the back, in case the bullet went all the way through -- and if there's too much blood for the pad to stick use your shirt to wipe the blood off - if you have nothing else.

I learned that 20 year veterans of the WJ FD/EMT can look and sound kind of callous when they're teaching this stuff.

I learned that wrapping an arm wound and not checking the rest of the body for other wounds doesn't do the patient a lot of good - I mean, if they're bleeding from the bullet hole in their groin wrapping the bullet hole on their arm isn't really going to save them.

I learned how concerned 20 year veterans of the WJ FD/EMT can look and sound when a call comes in and they have to go.

I learned that I won't have time to save everyone. If there is no pulse and they're not breathing they're dead, move on; even if it is one of your favorite students.

And then I got up this morning......and learned (again) why I learned what I did yesterday.

No comments: