Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Speak "Friend" and enter

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately (I know, I know, to quote Alan Menken - "A dangerous past time") about some of the things I've been seeing pop up on facebook and other social media regarding how "offended" people are at how some of their friends are reacting to ideas, lifestyles, etc.

I'm going to admit some things here that some of you are going to get your feathers ruffled over

I am a democrat, socially conservative, economically liberal.

Does that fact that you now know that change your opinion of me? 

I will sign a petition saying that marriage should be between a man and a woman. At the same time I will vehemently defend any same sex couple that wants to adopt, love, care for and raise a child.

Does the fact that I support both things make me a disparaging hypocrite in your view?

I'm proud of my religion. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a Mormon. I attend the temple, I go to church (most) every Sunday. I have no problem with other faiths, I love learning about them. I've attended more than one Catholic mass and Protestant service and appreciate all that goes on therein.
Does the fact that I'm a Mormon bug you? 

I'm an Aggie and a Ute. However, all through my growing up years I was a Cougar - But when it comes right down to it now I'm an Aggie through and through....then there are the fighting Irish!

Does the fact that I'm Aggie blue, with leanings toward the Irish, throw off your groove?


I think that many of you reading this know ME. You know who I am, what I believe, how I believe it, and that I live it, act it, and do it.

You know that I love YOU for who you are and what you have contributed to my life. I hope that my opinions, beliefs and convictions don't affect the way you think that I think about you - as a friend, a support, someone who taught me, and as an individual with your own way to think, act and do as you have the conviction to do.

I hope we all take time to think and realize that the people we associate with we choose to associate with; and this because in some way or another they have touched us and touched our lives or the lives of our families and children in a positive way - and there is nothing wrong with positive, regardless of our personal views and beliefs.

We can disagree and still be a support to each other. 

We can still call one another "friend" and mean it.





No comments: